Social Icons

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Open Office vs Libre Office


I have never used either Open Office or Libre Office, but my first impression when I opened them both was essentially what is the difference? Both of them look nearly identical at start up. So why choose one over the other? They both have the same applications and options with different icons, which are as well similar, to represent them. There purpose in life is to be a much, much cheaper alternative to Microsoft Office which is free. The Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, and Database are all pretty well the same as in an older version of Microsoft Office. However, there is two different application that I wanted to check out: Drawing and Formula.

Text Document

As you can see both are pretty much the same. Because of this it is hard for me to choose which one I would prefer to use. Actually, I would prefer to use Microsoft Office just because of the familiarity with the newer lines of programs. But for a free product, these are pretty good.

Spreadsheet

I actually like the Spreadsheet application in these two programs better than Excel in Microsoft office. There is less features which makes it easy to use for me. I don't really think of any instances when I need anything fancy for a spreadsheet. Sometimes simple is better.

Presentation

There are some minor differences in the two presentation applications. You have a few different opens that are more convention to get to in the side bar on the right. Still yet, they both are again simple to use and free so who can complain?



Those are the three main applications that I have used in the previous years, only I used them in Microsoft Office. They did add two application that is not included in Microsoft Office called Drawing and Formula. From what I can understand Drawing is basically what it says a drawing tool, and Formula is essentially a math tool. I haven't had a chance to play with either, but they could be useful. Two extra applications for free, I'll take that. All in all, if you can't get your hands on a copy of Microsoft Office, either one of these would be a great alternative.

1 comment:

  1. Here is an article I wrote which will give you some background: http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?p=3163

    ReplyDelete