Social Icons

Monday, October 14, 2013

Google Changes Lives




Fifteen years, one month, and some odd days since Google's "official birthday." How many days do you go without Google-ing something? How often do you check your Gmail account? Do you ever use YouTube? Are Google Maps essential to your travels? If it weren't for Google you wouldn't be utilizing any of these helpful tools and many more not mentioned, including reading this blog. Google has a mass impact on our lives daily. I can't think of a day I do not use at least one product powered by Google. How did Google manage to change our lives, the internet, and the way we think?
Technology should benefit you, not distract you:
The other day I was talking to a friend about writing this blog for class, and she told me about the quote above from Boy Meets World. It made me really think about how Google really has changed the was we live. If you hand me a dictionary or an encyclopedia, I can use it. Anyone with some common sense should be able to. However, why should I look up what a word means in a dictionary when I can type it into a search bar? I can cut the time taken to find the word in half the time. A book is more than less a waste of time if we utilize the technologies in front of use in the right way. You don't even know how to spell it properly and Google can still find it!

This also leads me to another thought. Many of us take for granted the technologies and conveniences Google has laid in front of us. Imagine it taking six months thirsty for just ONE book. It took Google 0.28 seconds to find that quote above for me. To me that is completely mind blowing. I wonder how long it takes the average person to sit down and look something up in an encyclopedia or dictionary. More than likely more time than someone would be willing to give. I think it is amazing.


I have heard many older people use the phrase, "It's a small world." In all reality, the world isn't so small with over 7 billion people. What makes the world so small? One thing I know that has made the world smaller is YoutTube. There is an limitless amount of videos on YouTube which will teach you about and how to do nearly anything. At one point you could read for days about how someone lived, or maybe go to lessons and learn how to play an instrument. What would be better than hearing about a culture and all involved than coming directly from that person experiencing it everyday. With YouTube you can also get that guitar lesson for free. YouTube is good for recreational purposes. There is also so much knowledge to be gained through many of the resources offered to you from Google!


There isn't a thing in the world that is better than a family vacation where you almost make it there but not quite. You can't quite make it there because you have the navigator in the passenger seat who can't read the over-sized map, or the driver who is refusing to stop and ask for directions. Imagine a world where there are written directions provided including any planned stops. Also including traffic and weather. Tell me how Google Maps haven't changed the was we travel. I never leave the house when I do not know where I am going without Google Maps.


Google to me is essential to everyday life. There is so much offered on the web and Google helps you utilize it all. You need Google for nearly everything you do. Searching, communicating, learning, watching, entertaining, and many more features. It is unlimited. Think about it every time you search on Google, and be thankful for what all is offered to you, so quickly and free of use. Google is amazing it what it has given us, utilize it every way possible.

2 comments: